[petsc-dev] [petsc-maint #60349] Saving multiple Vec in the same binary file

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu Jan 6 21:48:25 CST 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 16:04, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> > I guess one could store some kind of a catalog in the .info file that
> would allow reloading object by name in any order. Do you have a feeling
> that anybody other than me could be interested?

In the long term, we need something better.  PETSc binary formats can't
carry enough metadata to be usefully plottable without user interaction.  I
think I'm still in favor of a SQLite backend (for simplicity and
versatility) indexing binary files written using MPI-IO.  Most visualization
and metadata tasks should be answerable in 1-line SQL queries instead of
custom page-long graph traversals.

>>> On a different but not unrelated topic, Imtiaz who had started looking
> at the vtk IO had to leave LSU after our international services office
> screwed up his immigration paperwork... I am going to work with another
> student, Matt Kemp, on this project. Matt happens to also work part time for
> ANL and will be at MCS next week. I'll ask him to stop by and introduce
> himself to the group. He is also a good python / web programer so I was
> thinking of asking him to have a look at item 3 of the proposed project
> list: "Converting PetscLogViewPython() to generate JSON instead and
> developing Python parsers for quickly generating nice tables of performance
> details from runs or groups of runs." Is this still open?

Yes, but have a look at petscplot (
https://github.com/jedbrown/petscplot/wiki/PETSc-Plot) for some ideas on
plotting.  (petscplot parses plain ASCII output and creates a few plot
styles, see https://github.com/jedbrown/tme-ice/blob/master/make.sh#L5 for
more example invokations.)