[petsc-dev] Trying to get the CMake instructions to work, unsuccessfully

Richard Tran Mills rmills at climate.ornl.gov
Wed Feb 2 09:48:31 CST 2011

Hi Folks,

I am attempting to use the CMake stuff that Jed put in place to build PETSc.
I'm following the instructions currently found at
http://www.mcs.anl.gov/petsc/petsc-2/developers/index.html:

> The main reasons for using CMake are parallel builds, dependency analysis,
> and IDE integration. The following instructions assume that you have CMake
> version 2.6 or later installed.
>
>    1. Configure as usual with ./configure, provide
>       --with-cmake=/path/to/cmake if the CMake executable is not in your PATH.
>    2. Run make in the build directory ($PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH), the value of
>       the environment variables is not important.

Do these need updating?  Or am I just doing something stupid?  I've run
configure with '--with-cmake' specified appropriately, and a top-level
CMakeLists.txt file gets created.  But when I try to run cmake with
$PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH as my build directory, I get

-----
rmills at ubuntu:~/proj/petsc-dev/ubuntu-gnu_g$ cmake ..
CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:4 (include):
   include could not find load file:

     /home/rmills/proj/petsc-dev/conf/PETScConfig.cmake

-----

Line 4 of the CMakeLists.txt file attempts

   include (${PETSc_BINARY_DIR}/conf/PETScConfig.cmake)

It looks like PETSc_BINARY_DIR should be $PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH, but just
$PETSC_DIR is being used.  How is this supposed to be set?  I don't know CMake
very well, so my apologies if this is a dumb question.

Thanks,
Richard

Richard Tran Mills, Ph.D.            |   E-mail:rmills at climate.ornl.gov
Computational Scientist              |   Phone:  (865) 241-3198
Computational Earth Sciences Group   |   Fax:    (865) 574-0405
Oak Ridge National Laboratory        |http://climate.ornl.gov/~rmills