[petsc-dev] PaStiX solution

Alexander Grayver agrayver at gfz-potsdam.de
Wed Dec 28 07:02:29 CST 2011

On 28.12.2011 13:55, Jed Brown wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 03:52, Alexander Grayver
> <agrayver at gfz-potsdam.de <mailto:agrayver at gfz-potsdam.de>> wrote:
>
>     I wrote simple program to test different solvers. It reads matrix
>     and rhs and solves system. That is it.
>     I tested this program using PETSc's interface to MUMPS (LDLt),
>     SuperLU_Dist (LU) and it works well giving right solution, however
>     when I switch
>     to PaStiX (LLt) the solution is zero.
>

> How are you specifying to use PaStiX?

Hi Jed,
If you mean input parameters they are as following:
-ksp_view -ksp_monitor -mat_type mpisbaij -ksp_type preonly -pc_type
cholesky -pc_factor_mat_solver_package pastix -mat_pastix_verbose 2

>     The output is attached.
>     The matrix is SPD and has condition number of 16, there should be
>     no problem.
>     I use petsc-dev.
>     How could I figure out where is the problem?
>

> This sounds like a small example matrix. Can you -ksp_view_binary and
> send us the output file ('binaryoutput').

Maybe it was too preliminary to say that it is positive definite since
CG diverges with reason DIVERGED_INDEFINITE_MAT, however GMRES with
default parameters converges successfully.
Matrix is ~200000x200000, not so small, but zipped occupies 4.5 Mb.
Shall I send it?

Regards,
Alexander