[petsc-dev] XDMF viewers

Tim Gallagher tim.gallagher at gatech.edu
Sat Dec 3 14:22:20 CST 2011

You do need HDF5 to store "heavy" data, but XDMF can also store data in the XML file as "light" data for small datasets.

Inclusion in PETSc could go two ways -- the first would be using the XDMF library which handles reading/writing both light and heavy data. Or, the XDMF viewer can be built on top of the HDF5 viewer already there. In that case, the heavy data will be written using the HDF5 viewer and then there would be code to write the XML data in the XDMF format. This is the approach we use in our code -- we write the HDF5 files using the HDF5 API, then write with standard IO the XML file.

Still pulling the pylith code to see what they do.

Tim