[petsc-dev] Petsc memory usage w/ top

Dave Nystrom Dave.Nystrom at tachyonlogic.com
Fri Dec 2 21:06:52 CST 2011

It seems that whenever I am running my code with petsc and run top on linux
it reports that my code is running something like 24-25 GB of memory, even if
I am running a smallish problem.  Is this normal?  I just had a problem
terminate because it ran out of memory and I had no idea that I was pushing
any memory boundaries.  I actually don't think the problem should have run
out of memory but this behavior with top seems to keep it from being a useful
tool for getting a sense of how much memory my code is using.

Thanks,

Dave