[petsc-dev] About the future XXXDestroy(&obj) change

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:06:01 CDT 2011

On 11 April 2011 12:56, Jed Brown <jed at 59a2.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 17:51, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not only is it useful, its needed by petsc4py :)
>
> Only because petsc4py is managing a different object model where "DA" is a
> subtype of "DM".

Hey!... Isn't that the model of DA's in petsc-dev? My current issues
in petsc4py are more realted to backward compatibility than anything.
But even if I manage to remove the #define DA DM, petsc4py will still
use DA for the class name (unless there is some strong arguments from
any of you).

> It is not useful to C callers without also having
> petsc4py/src/include/custom.h.

I you use the new DMDAxxx API' from petsc-dev, you should not need
petsc4py/src/include/custom.h at all... It is just the #define DA DM,
and that is required only for the case of using "cimport" in Cython
code (I mean, SWIG wrappers or hand-written C should not suffer from
this issue).

--
Lisandro Dalcin