[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] Patch to release extra memoty to aij matrix

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Sun Apr 10 13:06:54 CDT 2011

2011/4/10 Gong Ding <gdiso at ustc.edu>

> This is the patch file to aij.c, which will release excessively
> preallocated memory at MatAssemblyEnd.
> It had been tested in the past several months, both for serial and
> parallel.
>
> Hope this patch can be accepted.

I'm not sure we can do this unconditionally because it can significantly
increase the peak memory usage. The most common case (I think) is that
preallocation is only slightly more than necessary in which case the extra
space is not very significant. Do we need to add a MatOption for this?