[petsc-dev] buildsystem package dependencies

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 11:51:56 CDT 2011

On 5 April 2011 13:29, Matthew Knepley <knepley at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 11:20 AM, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>
>> Not sure I understand. If I say 'mpi depends on mpe' - then the link line
>> is:
>>
>> -lhypre -lmpi -lmpe
>>
>> But thats incorrect usage - and not what I want.. The correct usage is:
>> -lhypre -lmpe -lmpi
>>
>> The issue comes up with -llmpe - which traps MPI_xx functions - and does
>> some
>> logging - and then calls MPI_xx functions from -lmpi. i.e usage is:
>>
>> -lhypre -llmpe -lmpe -lmpi
>
> Right, but this MPE package is changing the MPI interface. All those other
> packages,
> like Hypre, depend on MPI. MPI depends on MPE, but the MPE module may modify
> the MPI lib to be '-lmpe -lmpi'. I do not see another way to do this.
>    Matt

We could also build a custom libmpe.so, load it at runtime from
petscmpiexec by passing a -mpe flag. This way, we can get MPE logging
for free, using a regular PETSc build. This is more or less described
at the end of this ticket:
https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/mpich2/ticket/573.

What do you think?

--