[petsc-dev] Removing VecGetArrayPrivate3

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Nov 24 17:00:21 CST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 23:47, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Not sure exactly how to do this. I  think I want each implementation to do
> whatever checking is appropriate for its data storage. For example, one can
> do a VecDot() with a native Vec that is currently gotten with a read or a
> write but for implementations that make a copy with the get array they
> cannot.

 My concern is with (1) multiple threads at some future date, and (2)
respecting the API so that the code will still work if they use a non-native
Vec.  Is there a compelling reason why a user should be able to VecDot while
a write pointer is checked out?  Is KSPSolve_IBCGS justification?  A
side-effect of enforcing this consistently is that we can provide an error
message sooner when the user just forgets VecRestoreArray (instead of a
potential memory leak or error at VecDestroy).

Jed