[petsc-dev] Fwd: [petsc-maint #56111] petsc4py does not work with complex numbers?

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 19:33:09 CST 2010

On 16 November 2010 22:18, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Nov 16, 2010, at 5:33 PM, Lisandro Dalcin wrote:
>
>> On 16 November 2010 16:59, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>>> We pushed a fix for this to petsc-dev.
>>>

>> So it seems that petc4py is not so broken! At least, it helped to
>> discover two bugs in core PETSc!!
>>
>> (Sorry, Barry was so hard with me in previous mails that I could not
>> resist the sarcasm)
>
>  We ran your 1900 tests in 10 seconds. Running the PETSc test suite takes like an hour and has no where near that many tests.

However, PETSc tests do exercise the solution of actual problems, so
you can catch algorithmic regressions. Also note that each test is
petsc4py is actually a test for a single method, so the 1900 count is
a bit artificial. And finally, let me add that many things (methods,
features, etc) are still untested :-) .

--
Lisandro Dalcin