[petsc-dev] PETSc programming model for multi-core systems

Aron Ahmadia aron.ahmadia at kaust.edu.sa
Thu Nov 11 19:09:07 CST 2010

I would support either MPI+OpenMP or MPI+MPI.  I've seen reasonable
performance achieved for things like SpMV on both, but OpenMP gives
you a lot of flexibility for reduction operations.

Matt, in pthreads, all you have to do is fork, synchronize your
threads, then run whatever piece of code you want in parallel.  That's
basically the model CUDA uses, how hard is that?