[petsc-dev] Error building the latest PETSc

Carl Ponder CPonder at NVidia.Com
Wed Nov 3 20:55:48 CDT 2010

Satish, Jed -- I'm not sure the message got through -- here's the info
without the log files:

*
On 11/03/2010 06:50 PM, Satish Balay wrote:*

>     I think I understand the issue. I'm pushing something that should fix it.
>     [so here - you have to do 'hg pull -u' to get this fix and rerun configure]
>
>     Jed,
>
>     The issue is: PETSc is built without a c++ compiler, but SAMRAI - is using it with c++ - hence the error [with missing PETSC_FUNCTION_NAME_CXX]. So I think we'll have to always set PETSC_FUNCTION_NAME_CXX irrespective of c++ usage in petsc.
>     Perhaps you might want to cleanup my fix..

Satish, Jed -- thanks for the fix -- I think we're almost there.
Here is an error I get from installing the latestpetsc-dev:
> libfast in:
> /home/cponder/CUDA/PFlotran/petsc-dev/src/sys/viewer/impls/hdf5
> hdf5v.c:298: error: conflicting types for ‘PetscViewerHDF5GetTimestep’
> /home/cponder/CUDA/PFlotran/petsc-dev/include/petscviewer.h:286: note:
> previous declaration of ‘PetscViewerHDF5GetTimestep’ was here
> /usr/bin/ar: hdf5v.o: No such file or directory
>   Error during compile, check arch-linux-gnu-c-debug/conf/make.log
>   Send it and arch-linux-gnu-c-debug/conf/configure.log to
> petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov
> make: [all] Error 1 (ignored)
For the record, here are the commands I used to install:
> hg clone http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/petsc-dev
> cd petsc-dev/config
> hg clone http://petsc.cs.iit.edu/petsc/BuildSystem
> cd ..
> export PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux-gnu-c-debug
> export PETSC_DIR=$PWD
> ./configure --with-cc=mpicc --with-fc=mpif90
> --download-f-blas-lapack=1 --download-hdf5=1
> --prefix=$PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH
> make PETSC_DIR=$PWD PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux-gnu-c-debug all
> make PETSC_DIR=$PWD PETSC_ARCH=arch-linux-gnu-c-debug install
> cd ..
I'm not sending it to thepetsc-maint list yet, in case you can figure
out the fix right away.
Thanks,

             Carl Ponder, Ph.D.
             NVidia