[petsc-dev] [petsc-users] Compiler Warning

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Nov 3 19:44:25 CDT 2010

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:50, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> Because of the || *r2 may never get set, but it gets used later in the
> routine. Maybe compilers shouldn't give the warning but some did.

But the uninitialized value can't be used if PetscMallocX failed because the
error is checked and the error handler is invoked.  Was the problem only in
some case where the error code was not being checked, or was it more than
that?  Spurious uninitialized warnings are obnoxious, are they worth
pandering to?  I can't reproduce them with any of my compilers.

Jed