[petsc-dev] PETSC_USE_SOCKET_VIEWER macro - controlled by configure or not

Kevin.Buckley at ecs.vuw.ac.nz Kevin.Buckley at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Tue Jan 12 21:05:53 CST 2010

>> I am tying to help a researcher here build his application against
>> a PETSc (3.0.0 p9) installtion at another site that seems to have
>> undefined references to:
>>
>> PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
>
> Is this unresolved symbol from user code?

No.

They are all from within PETSc itself.

Specifically, the various PETSc solvers that have the

#ifdef(PETSC_USE_SOCKET_VIEWER )

block I also forgot to mention in the body but alluded to in the
subject. (You see, I did go digging in the code and libs!)

To be a bit more verbose, on the machine I have no control over,
other than to feed info to the installer there:

for f in *.a ;do echo $f ; nm $f | grep PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_ ; done
libpetsc.a
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_

and so on for other PETSC libs.

On my machine there's obvioulsy a fix up for that reference here:

libpetsc.a
00001a4a T PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_
         U PETSC_VIEWER_SOCKET_

What I could not discern from my inspection of the code so far
was how the actual instatiation of the fix up for those references
might have been binned on the other box, whilst the (U)ndefined
references themselves still appear to have been compiled into the
PETSc installation.

I was expecting, once I had found it that is, PETSC_USE_SOCKET_VIEWER
and a corresponding configure ability to turn it on/off, might control
everything.

Then I found the reference to tweaking it by hand on, admittedly
an not quite run of the mill, platform.

Hence my original question.

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971