[petsc-dev] Open file descriptors from -save_to argument on NetBSD

Kevin.Buckley at ecs.vuw.ac.nz Kevin.Buckley at ecs.vuw.ac.nz
Sun Jan 10 17:02:34 CST 2010

>> I have determined that the file to which these descriptors
>> point is the one that is being passed to PETSc's "-save_to"
>> option.
>
> As Satish says, this is a PISM thing, and has nothing to do with PETSc.
> PISM is using NetCDF directly here, but nc_close() should be called
> after writing those snapshots.  It would be best if you could post any
> additional info to this bug report
>
>   https://gna.org/bugs/index.php?15074
>
> Jed

Interesting; thanks for the info. Exactly the sort of insight I
was hoping for when posting.

When I initially went looking in the code to see where the filename,
that I knew was in the argument list to the top level application,
PISM, was being used,

 cd pism-stable0.2.1
 find . -type f -print | xargs grep save_to

I found

ierr =
  PetscOptionsGetString(PETSC_NULL, "-save_to", snapshots_filename, ...

and so assumed it was being passed through into the PETSc "layer".

I did not get a chance to dig much further, hence posting on here
where there is a lot of knowledge.

I do appreciate that we were trying to get the whole software stack
going on a platform here at VUW, that's not the most widely used,
indeed, the researchers who were hoping to make use of the facility
have decided to direct their efforts elsewehere for now.

I obviously have the code to play around with but have to claim to
being a mere implementer as opposed to someone who knows the software
stack, and the way the application should be used, in any great detail,
however, if I do get a chance to scratch the itch that this has started,
(and I hope to) then I'll feed back what I can, as and when I can.

Thanks once again for directing my investogation to the right areas,
Kevin

--
Kevin M. Buckley                                  Room:  CO327
School of Engineering and                         Phone: +64 4 463 5971