[petsc-dev] Open file descriptors from -save_to argument on NetBSD

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 7 21:44:20 CST 2010

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Kevin.Buckley at ecs.vuw.ac.nz wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> this follows on somewhat from my earliar posting regarding
> initial experiences building and running PETSc for the
> NetBSD platform.
>
> Having built both PETSc and the application that uses it
> for our NetBSD hosted OpenMPI/SGE grid, I have observed
> that a large number of file descriptors are seemingly
> remaining open on the compute nodes within the grid when
> running the application.
>
> I have determined that the file to which these descriptors
> point is the one that is being passed to PETSc's "-save_to"
> option.

There is no -save_to option in PETSc. Perhaps its an option
defined/used by the appliation code.

> I appreciate this may be something that's only being seen
> on my platform but I'd like to remove the issue, if only to
> be tidy.
>
> In case there's some knowledge that might speed up my search
> for a solution out there:
>
> 1) are there/have there been/ any known issues with file descriptors
> not being closed within PETSc, for that file or otherwise, that
> would inform this issue ?

Don't know how to check for unclosed file descriptors. But perhaps you
can check this by running an example code - say
src/snes/examples/tutorials/ex19.c [one of the runex19 targets in the
makefile]

Satish