[petsc-dev] DMMG without libpetscsnes?

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 7 08:34:40 CST 2010

   DMMG used to be split up (as you note from the stale comment). I
ended up merging them because it wasn't worth the effort and
complication to keep them in two parts.

   I would not like to see them split up again. Rather I would like to
see the linear part of DMMG put into KSP/PC/DMMG somehow (not exactly
sure how) so it can be properly nested and composed just like other
preconditioners. I'm sure you are doing something slightly cumbersome
now to put your DMMG inside the Schur fieldsplit. For linear DMMG I
think the design is all wrong as it is now.

    Here is how I see it: DMMG's job is to "fill up" the appropriate
fields in the KSP, PC, MG objects, then when solving those fields are
used. I would like (somehow) the KSP, PC, MG objects to have the
mechanism that you can provide a DM to them and they can then "fill
up" their fields. But it is important we get this right and
compossible so I have hesitated to ever try it. The starting point
might be having an (optional) KSPSetDM() that would propagate the DM
into the PC and subPCs and subsubPCs etc where they would be used to
fill the slots if provided.

   Going to the basic design motto of PETSc, "only a single way to do
each action", it is obvious that DMMG is totally wrong since there is
a KSPSolve() and a DMMGSolve()! Someday I want this fixed.

    Barry