[petsc-dev] Mat/DM dependency

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Sat Jan 2 22:39:13 CST 2010

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 12:41:33 -0600, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>    Does this mean that Linux shared libraries require that EVERYTHING
> in a shared library be resolved even if the executable does not have a
> chain of calls that would ever reach the functions in the shared
> library that cannot be resolved?

This is standard behavior, and I believe it's a good thing because
everything in a library should be accessible through it's interface.
You seem to be arguing that it's a good thing to have hidden stuff in a
library that is only accessible by a magic extern declaration, but I
don't see the benefit of this.  Why not move mhyp.c to src/dm?

> Please confirm that this DOES happen for static libraries?

It does not happen with static libs, the builds I use I keep around
all use shared libs.

Jed