[petsc-dev] Mat/DM dependency

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Jan 1 16:15:54 CST 2010

On Jan 1, 2010, at 1:19 PM, Jed Brown wrote:

> Mat does not normally depend on DM, but a couple implementations do,
>
>  $ grep -rl DAGet petsc/src/mat/impls
>  petsc/src/mat/impls/hypre/mhyp.c
>  petsc/src/mat/impls/adic/nladic.c
>  petsc/src/mat/impls/adic/matadic.c
>
> So when these are enabled, all the Mat examples fail to link because
> PETSC_MAT_LIB does not include PETSC_DM_LIB.

    Please explain in detail when this occurs. It does not happen to
me on the Apple with static, shared or dynamic libraries. Does it
happen when linking the example or running it? Please cut and past all
error messages that appear.

    Barry

   Let's not get carried away with redesigning all of PETSc because of
a simple link issue (or crappy shared library design on Linux :-).