[petsc-dev] now that we have -lpetsc should we also have #include "petsc.h"?

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 12:06:05 CST 2010

On 26 February 2010 13:48, Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> One note on this scheme wrt linux..
>
> Fedora is making it illegal for appliation to link *only* to
> libpetsc.so [if libpetsc.so relies on lipetscsys.so etc..]
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UnderstandingDSOLinkChange
>
> perhaps other linux distos will do the same..

OK, these folks have lost their mind. This policy is something they
should not enforce, but check for it, let say in a tool like
rpmlint... Moreover, these checks should only make sense where the
dependencies are for DSO's comming from unrelated packages...

The issues that the proposed change is trying to address is VERY
valid, but it has nothing to do with the use case I'm proposing for
PETSc.

--
Lisandro Dalcin