[petsc-dev] Writing rich state

Dmitry Karpeev karpeev at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 24 08:31:32 CST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 12:59 AM, Jed Brown <jed at 59a2.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:44:55 -0600, Dmitry Karpeev <karpeev at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
>> Yes, but what about using Spotlight programmatically (e.g., from
>> PETSc) to store rich state, checkpointing, etc?  For example, I want
>> to store a Vec.  How do I label it?  There maybe various user contexts
>> that share it, so I'd like to label it with all of them.
>
> Right, so I think SQL is one way to formalize this.  Ad-hoc indexing is
> great for interactive use, but this system needs to be deterministic and
> have somewhat more precise semantics.  This is not to say that a generic
> indexer could not be used, but I think it would end up being difficult
> to maintain certain invariants since the schema would end up being
> encoded in conventions.  Other database paradigms may also be fine, but
> the point of NoSQL is typically to weaken the supported queries and
> guarantees about concurrent modification in exchange for improved
> throughput/scalability.

Yes, I think SQL or some such approach would be a good solution.
I don't even think the actual file format matters too much: we can just
create collections of files that share keys.  The database is needed only
to manage file names.  It could also store other data, of course, but
that's just gravy.

>> In a way, I don't to have to look at my home directory (or any
>> directory) at all.  I just want to extract files based on a given (set
>> of) label(s).
>
> "Labels", in the gmail sense are difficult to maintain, and I mostly use
> them as aliases for more sophisticated searches (by writing filters).
> Keeping labels distinct from the filters that define them is really just
> rubbing a particular caching scheme in everyone's face (manually applied
> labels are useful for workflow).  But I get your point, the hierarchy is
> just selecting one organizational scheme as special, and hard/symlinks
> are band-aids to permit sharing and one-way relations existing outside
> the hierarchy.  Good tools recognize this (web search, distributed SCMs,
> code navigation, gmail/notmuch, filesystem indexers).

Yes, labels are cumbersome, since they have to be create manually, etc.
However, when we decide where on the filesystem to place a file, we are
essentially selecting its labels: the directories on the path.  At least those
are *some* of the labels we'd like to attach to the file and the filesystem only
allows "labels" encoded as directories.  I agree that it would be nice to allow
more general queries, but based on what (permissions, timestamp? those
sound like natural candidates)?

Dmitry.