[petsc-dev] use --with-single-library=1 as default?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu Feb 4 12:09:26 CST 2010

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 12:00:45 -0600 (CST), Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> In a single build - I think its good to keep symmetry between .so and
> .a files - to minimise user confusion. And makefiles having a single
> list of libs [usually .a files are ignored when equivalent .so is
> present anyway]

My point was just that users can't statically declare the list of libs
that they need when using static libs.  In that case, there are only two
ways to link PETSc, (1) use PETSc's makefiles, and (2) have their
configure scipt snarf the output of make getlinklibs.  With shared libs,
they can just write -L$PETSC_DIR/$PETSC_ARCH/lib -lpetsc and be done
with it.

Jed