[petsc-dev] use --with-single-library=1 as default?

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Thu Feb 4 03:11:31 CST 2010

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 18:08:34 -0600 (CST), Satish Balay <balay at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> Should we default to using --with-single-library=1? [I'd prefer this -
> as it will minimize dlopen issues from external packages.]
>
> Also - I'd like to have distinct library names between
> --with-single-library=0 and 1 - so that there is no ambiguity.
>
> i.e libpetsc.a for --with-single-library=1
> libpetscsys.a [instead of current libpetsc.a] for --with-single-library=0

I also like distinguishing between libpetsc (the whole thing) and
libpetscsys, it makes it easier to write robust auto-configure stuff to
find PETSc.  Note that with shared libs, you can build them separately,
link the front-end

  ld -shared -o libpetsc.so libpetsc*.so

and then the same install is available as one convenient chunk (just
-lpetsc) or in whatever granularity is desired, and it still enforces
the module boundaries.

I'm not sure I see the benefit of static linking with-single-library
because they still have to explicitly link recursive dependencies.

Jed