[petsc-dev] Python 2.2

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 3 13:06:00 CST 2010

    We don't want to require people who use PETSc to have to go and
download a "new" version of python just because they are using it to
install PETSc. This means that so long as "reasonably commonly" used
systems still have 2.2 we need to live with 2.2 limitations. Then it
comes down to how do with measure "reasonably commonly" used systems,
that is how do we determine when some system is no longer reasonably
commonly used? I'd rather error on the side of not forcing people to
update python then forcing them to update just so ./config/
configure.py has slightly cleaner code.

    Note that does not mean that we should use python 2.2 for
everything. For example, if Lisandro were to decide that PETSc4py
would require 3.0 I think that would be completely reasonable. The
difference is if python is tool the user is working with when they can
benefit from the latest and greatest features vs just a tool that
PETSc uses to get installed.

    Barry