[petsc-dev] Python 2.2

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 3 09:57:25 CST 2010

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> The last release of Python 2.2 was May 30, 2003. The fixes Satish
> has just put in are pretty ugly. At what point do we give up on an
> antiquated Python?

I think its good if we can keep configure working for a wide rane of
python versions [whatever the user has].

One timeline we can use is - RHEL/CentOS EOL dates. RHEL3/CentOS3 with
python2.2 is supported till Oct 31, 2010, RHEL4/CentOS4 with default
python2.3 is supported til Feb 29, 2012.

Or drop python2.2 for next release... Barry can decide...

Satish