[petsc-dev] Need help compiling on Windows (Cygwin)

Olumide 50295 at web.de
Fri Apr 23 15:11:21 CDT 2010

Hi -

I'm having difficulty compiling on Windows (Cygwin). I've installed
MPICH2, but I keep getting the following error (extract from
configure.log). I've also tried specifying the directory in which MPI is
installed, but that didn't work either.

BTW, I do not have ifort on my machine (can't afford it :( ).

Thanks,

- Olumide

          UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log
for details):
Error running configure on MPICH.
    On Microsoft Windows systems, please obtain and install the binary
distribution from
      http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich/mpich-nt
    then rerun configure.
    If you choose to install MPICH to a location other than the default,
use
      --with-mpi-dir=<directory>
    to specify the location of the installation when you rerun configure.
   File "./configure", line 250, in petsc_configure
     framework.configure(out = sys.stdout)
   File
"/cygdrive/c/Downloads/src/petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem/config/framework.py",
line 930, in configure
     child.configure()
   File
"/cygdrive/c/Downloads/src/petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem/config/package.py",
line 457, in configure
     self.executeTest(self.configureLibrary)
   File
"/cygdrive/c/Downloads/src/petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem/config/base.py",
line 97, in executeTest
     ret = apply(test, args,kargs)
   File
"/cygdrive/c/Downloads/src/petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem/config/packages/MPI.py",
line 703, in configureLibrary
     config.package.Package.configureLibrary(self)
   File
"/cygdrive/c/Downloads/src/petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem/config/package.py",
line 396, in configureLibrary
     for location, directory, lib, incl in self.generateGuesses():
   File
"/cygdrive/c/Downloads/src/petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem/config/package.py",
line 207, in generateGuesses
     d = self.checkDownload(1)
   File
"/cygdrive/c/Downloads/src/petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem/config/packages/MPI.py",
line 316, in checkDownload
     return config.package.Package.checkDownload(self, requireDownload)
   File
"/cygdrive/c/Downloads/src/petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem/config/package.py",
line 284, in checkDownload
     return self.getInstallDir()
   File
"/cygdrive/c/Downloads/src/petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem/config/package.py",
line 170, in getInstallDir
     return os.path.abspath(self.Install())
   File
"/cygdrive/c/Downloads/src/petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem/config/packages/MPI.py",
line 330, in Install
     return self.InstallMPICH()
   File
"/cygdrive/c/Downloads/src/petsc-dev/config/BuildSystem/config/packages/MPI.py",
line 526, in InstallMPICH
     to specify the location of the installation when you rerun configure.')