[petsc-dev] DESTDIR

Satish Balay balay at mcs.anl.gov
Fri Apr 23 13:42:20 CDT 2010

On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Satish Balay wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010, Sean Farley wrote:
>

> > > Essentially, yes.  The advantage of actually using pkgconfig is that
> > > autoconf, cmake, and others already have support for it.
> >

> > True.
> >
> > Actually, I'm almost done (once DESTDIR gets supported) with implementing a
> > Portfile for PETSc in MacPorts (which has the ability to have multiple
> > versions of packages installed), if anyone uses a mac and is interested in
> > that.
>
> One Issue [which might be mac specific] with DESTDIR is: 'make
> install' does 'make shared' at the dest dir.

For now I pushed a priliminary DESTDIR support to petsc-dev. Currently
it skips sharedlibraries.

Since the conf files in DESTDIR are unuseable [because they point to
INSTALL_DIR] we cannot invoke make targets with PETSC_DIR=DESTDIR

So we'll have to move 'make shared petsc4py' [and other stuff] from
install.py back to 'make all' [and get it working perhaps with
'install_name_tool' on mac]

Th no-DESTDIR mode should continue to work as before [wrt 'make shared
petsc4py' etc..

Satish