remove 'x11' test from 'make test'

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 28 18:49:41 CDT 2009

On Oct 28, 2009, at 6:41 PM, Satish Balay wrote:

> Barry,
>
> any objections to removing the 'x11' test from 'make test?'
>
> It fails for significant numer of installs [for users without working
> x11 etc..]. And the c/fortran/parallel tests should be the primary
> tests anyway..

   The make rule for make tests only runs this test  when ./configure
has found X11 and tested that it compiles and links properly.

   Thus it is not failing because of a failed X11 install.

    My understanding is that it ONLY fails because people don't have
the proper DISPLAY variable set. That is either
1) DISPLAY does not exist or has garbage or
2) DISPLAY points to a proper X server but because of permission
issues or firewalls the X client cannot connect to the X server.

    Does it fail for any other reason?

    I hate to pander to complete idiots who cannot set up their X
system properly; but I guess you can move that test to a new test called
testx11

    Barry