PETSC_ARCH variable --> PETSC_CONF

Boyana Norris norris at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 30 16:23:28 CST 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 3:59 PM, Barry Smith wrote:

> On Nov 30, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Boyana Norris wrote:
>
>> Why not recognize both? It's fairly trivial to check for PETSC_CONF
>> if PETSC_ARCH is undefined and internally define PETSC_ARCH using
>> PETSC_CONF.
>
>  This is a make variable. I am not sure that it is trivial to check
> if a variable is set and use something else otherwise in a tidy way
> in make. Plus I had the idea of having two variables that mean the
> same thing.

There are a couple of different ways, e.g., one is

ifndef PETSC_ARCH
  ifdef PETSC_CONF
   PETSC_ARCH=$(PETSC_CONF)
  else
   $(error "Make sure the PETSC_CONF environment variable is defined
before running make.")
  endif
endif

This is for GNU make, which is pretty widely available, and may have
to be adjusted for ancient systems.

Boyana