Should PetscObjectName be collective?

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 10:19:24 CST 2009

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:03 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

>   I do not know a way to generate unique MPI-comm-id's. Any thoughts? Some
> feature of MPI I don't know?

I think the only way is to use a (truly) global counter, but you know,
implementing NXTVAL is a bit hard and will require MPI-2 features.
(http://code.google.com/p/mpi4py/source/browse/trunk/demo/nxtval/).

And now that I think better, a truly global counter is perhaps not so
easy... How do you handle Spawn&Merge? MPI-2 made COMM_WORLD far less
special that it was in MPI-1.

--
Lisandro Dalcín