PETSc in double-double and quad-double...

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Nov 4 14:43:06 CST 2009

Todd Munson wrote:

> If we can do qd_real, we could also try using the arprec package and get
> arbitrary precision math.  I might be interested in that as well...

That will not work and really can't be made to work because each term
takes a different amount of space.  The implementation holds a double*
so memcpy only gives a shallow copy and the pointer is worthless after
it's sent to a different process.  It would be a lot of work to pack and
unpack every value (and change the size of the buffers dynamically).

Jed