PETSc in double-double and quad-double...

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Nov 4 14:06:42 CST 2009

    This is tricky because some C/C++ compilers long double uses 128
bits of space but actually (on Intel) only uses 80 of the bits (those
are the bits that floating point unit handles). So you do not really
get 128 bits. Also MPI may not properly handle the 128 bit doubles.

    I am investigating qd now. Is there any MPI implementation that
uses qd? Do you need MPI?

    Barry