why not a single PETSc library

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Tue Jun 9 16:55:25 CDT 2009

Barry Smith wrote:

> On Jun 9, 2009, at 4:37 PM, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>
>> I think its legitimate to only want some of our crap.
>
>    You only get what you use; if you only use KSP then only the KSP and
> below stuff will be pulled into your program, so what is the problem?

With shared libs, you always get the whole thing.  Of course, the unused
part may only be mapped into virtual memory (thus never physically
present).  I suspect it's fairly rare to use less than Mat or KSP at
which point the presence of SNES/TS/DM is minimal overhead.  A single
lib is certainly easier to find with configure scripts.

Jed