GMRES and PC_RIGHT

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Jun 8 13:52:42 CDT 2009

    The GMRES coded in PETSc does NOT support right preconditioning.
The code that is there was not intended for right preconditioning and
was never "fixed up" to support right preconditioning.

    The FGMRES code was written for right preconditioning (but the
FGMRES algorithm itself does not support left preconditioning.)

    Yes, it would be nice if someone worked through the GMRES code (it
is ugly) and added support for right preconditioning but no one has
had the initiative. When I want to run with GMRES and right
preconditioning for some test I just use FGMES.

    Barry