Setting options on matrices obtained from a DM

Jed Brown jed at 59A2.org
Wed Jul 22 12:08:59 CDT 2009

Lisandro Dalcin wrote:

> If you do MatSetType(A, MATAIJ), you end-up having a MATSEQAIJ or a
> MPIMPIAIJ... Vec does not have such "aliasing" on type names ...

How is this a problem?  You aren't matching type names, you're just
setting a function to be called after the sizes are known.  Since this
happens in MatCreate_{Seq,MPI}AIJ, it doesn't matter whether MatSetType
was called with MATAIJ.

Also note that we currently have mat->ops->setsizes (only implemented by
SeqDense) so we should either use it or remove it, as long as we value
one-way-to-do-it.

Jed