some comments on output from configure.py when downloading external packages

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Sat Aug 15 18:40:30 CDT 2009

When asking configure.py to download Hypre and ML, we get output like this:

1) for Hypre ...
You must register to use hypre at
http://www.llnl.gov/CASC/hypre/download/hyprebeta_cur_agree.html
Once you have registered, config/configure.py will continue and
download and install hypre for you
2) for ML ...
You must register to use ml at http://trilinos.sandia.gov/
Once you have registered, config/configure.py will continue and
download and install ml for you

These messages are wrong, as the configuration does not stop.
Secondly, a thing that I strongly object, is that after running
configure, in home directory I now I have two files '.hypre_license'
and '.ml_license' ... IMHO, configure.py should not write stuff in my
home directory... why not write these files in $PETSC_DIR... Even
more, do we still need these files if configure.py downloads and
installs the stuff anyway?

After looking at the websites of Hypre and ML, it seems that both are
LGPL... So... Do we still need at all that license stuff in PETSc's
build system for these two external packages?

Lastly, this annoying thing about ML:

         UNABLE to CONFIGURE with GIVEN OPTIONS    (see configure.log
for details):
Installing ML requires explicit root directory of MPI
Run config/configure.py again with the additional argument
--with-mpi-dir=rootdir

Are you really sure this issue is hard to fix? Is it worth to give it a look?

--
Lisandro Dalcín