PETSc acceleration on novel architectures

Matthew Knepley petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Apr 7 10:39:11 CDT 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Stephen Ball <Stephen.R.Ball at awe.co.uk>wrote:

> Hi
>
> We are keen to start investigating whether or not PETSc is suitable for
> acceleration on novel architectures like GPUs, Cell processors, etc.
>
> I would very much like to get your opinions on this.
>
> Do you think such an endeavour is at all feasible with PETSc? If so,
> what areas of PETSc do you think our efforts would best be spent?
>
> Should we for example focus on matrix operations, or on specific
> preconditioners or solvers? Where would be a good place to start?
>
> Can you suggest some specific routines/functions in PETSc that are
> potential candidates for acceleration?

We are actually already working on this, and I plan on having a PETSc-GPU
come out at the end of the year. Therefore, I suggest working on PCs that
are specific to your problems. People are already doing good work on sparse
matrices in general, and solvers will see no speedup at all, since they are
all
logic.

   Matt

> Regards
>
> Stephen R. Ball
> Advanced Technologies
> HPC
> DRAS
> Rm: G17
> Bldg: E1.1
> AWE(A)
> Aldermaston
> Reading
> Berkshire
> ENGLAND
> RG7 4PR
> Tel: +44 (0)118 982 4528
> e-mail: stephen.r.ball at awe.co.uk
>
> This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and
> privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
> please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete this
> e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this
> information by a person other than the intended recipient is
> unauthorized and may be illegal.

lead.