want to make some changes to PCASM

Richard Tran Mills rmills at climate.ornl.gov
Fri Nov 21 06:55:53 CST 2008

Folks,

I believe this is orthogonal to what Lisandro is discussing, but I am
wondering if it might be worthwhile to add support in PCASM for subdomains
being shared across a subset of processors?  That way subdomain solves could
be shared across cores in a socket, processors in an SMP node, etc.  All the
talk about the proliferation of cores in a socket, etc., suggests that this
might be worthwhile, although I'm not sure.  In practice, I've found that for
many of the problems I work with, one subdomain per processor still works OK
even with tens of thousands of processors.  Still, this might be worth exploring.

I have not looked into the PCASM code to see what might be involved with this
-- it's just an idle thought.  Can anyone more familiar with the issues comment?

--Richard

Richard Tran Mills, Ph.D.            |   E-mail: rmills at climate.ornl.gov
Computational Scientist              |   Phone:  (865) 241-3198
Computational Earth Sciences Group   |   Fax:    (865) 574-0405
Oak Ridge National Laboratory        |   http://climate.ornl.gov/~rmills