changes for next PETSc release

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Mar 17 12:27:18 CDT 2008

On Mar 17, 2008, at 10:23 AM, Matthew Knepley wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov>
> wrote:
>>

>>     There are two significant  changes I'd like to see before the
>> next PETSc release:
>>
>> 1) remove the overly complicated (from a user perspective) matrix
>> subclassing for the various external
>>      matrix solver packages and replace with MatSolverSetType() -
>> mat_solver_type <type> that simply
>>      flips the various factorization/solver functions with those
>> requested and
>
> This seems not too hard. Just a layer on top to run the code a user
> must
> run now.

    It is not very hard, but piling shit on top of shit is not the
best way to
write software. I have a method to reorganize that removes the old shit
thus both simplifying the model and making it more user friendly.

>> 2) properly name-space PETSc by putting a Petsc in front of all PETSc
>> objects, function names etc
>>      (this will require changing a few names also to keep them below
>> the 32 character limit). This will
>>      be very painful change for some users who are not comfortable
>> ever changing code, hence I hesitate
>>      to do it, but it is the right thing to do and should have been
>> done originally.
>
> I guess I still do not see the need for this. NIMROD is a not a
> sufficient
> driver in my mind.

    You are an elitist who thinks that important ideas can only come
from important/smart people. This I disagree strongly with, one should
look everywhere, even at the local dump, for good ideas. NIMROD is
not the driver, it is merely the spark.

> If we really want namespaces, use a real language that
> has namespaces. There are plenty. If we are still using C, I say we
> stick
> with the old division. The imposition of this much pain on the
> overwhelming
> majority of users seems unjustified.

    You seem to be saying we should stick with a bad decision I made
many years ago, just because it is painful to change. When did you
suddenly become conservative?