changes for next PETSc release

Barry Smith bsmith at mcs.anl.gov
Sun Mar 16 19:38:26 CDT 2008

     There are two significant  changes I'd like to see before the
next PETSc release:

1) remove the overly complicated (from a user perspective) matrix
subclassing for the various external
      matrix solver packages and replace with MatSolverSetType() -
mat_solver_type <type> that simply
      flips the various factorization/solver functions with those
requested and

2) properly name-space PETSc by putting a Petsc in front of all PETSc
objects, function names etc
      (this will require changing a few names also to keep them below
the 32 character limit). This will
      be very painful change for some users who are not comfortable
ever changing code, hence I hesitate
      to do it, but it is the right thing to do and should have been
done originally.
.

     Maybe we can do a release in around a couple of months, it would
be 2.4