Preconditioning for saddle point problems

Dave May dave.mayhem23 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 18:11:55 CDT 2008

Hey Jed,
    I took a look through the link you provided and wanted to ask a couple
of questions to clarity a couple of things.

1) How well does the the preconditioner you describe work with the power
law rheology implemented? What is the maximum viscosity contrast between
elements and across that box you've tried?

2) When you say you use AMG for the action of y = A^{-1} x, it appears from
your
README that this is defined using hypre. Is this correct? Have you found
boomeramg
to be superior to ML for the A block? In the past I tried both
preconditioners on the
A block for variable viscosity Stokes flow, but I never had much success.
They
either required massive amounts of setup time or the solution time has not
obtained
in O(N). Was there something fancy in the options configuration required to
make hypre
work for you?

Cheers,
    Dave