Preconditioning for saddle point problems

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 11:03:26 CDT 2008

1) I believe the Wathen-Elman-Silvester stuff is the best out there of the
    shelf. I love the review

     A.C. de Niet and F.W. Wubs "Two preconditioners for saddle point
problems in fluid flows"
     Int. J. Num. Meth. Fluids 2007: 54: 355-377

2) Note in there that Augmented Lagrangian preconditioning (ala Axelsson) works
    even better, but the system is harder to invert. I like these
because you only need
    one field in the formulation, instead of having a mixed system.
This is detailed in
    Brenner & Scott (Iterated Penalty method).

3) If you want a mixed system, there is new code in PETSc
(PCFieldSplit) to do exactly
    what you want, and it works automatically with DAs. If you do it
by hand, you provide
    explicitly the IS for each field.

  Matt

their experiments lead.