Preconditioning for saddle point problems

Lisandro Dalcin dalcinl at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 08:44:24 CDT 2008

Well, I've worked hard on similar methods, but for incompressible NS
equations (pressure-convection preconditioners, Elman et al.). I
abandoned temporarily this research, but I was not able to get decent
results. However, for Stokes flow it seens to work endeed, but never
studied this seriously.

I'll comment you the degree of abstraction I could achieve. In my base
FEM code, I have a global [F, G; D C] matrix (I use stabilized
methods) built from standard linear elements and partitioned across
processors in a way inherited by the mesh partitioner (metis). So the
F, G, D, C entries are all 'interleaved' at each proc.

In order to extract the blocks as parallel matrices from the goblal
saddle-point parallel matrix, I used MatGetSubmatrix, for this I
needed to build two index set for momentum eqs and continuity eqs
local at each proc but in global numbering. Those index set are the
only input required (apart from the global matrix) to build the
preconditioner.

--
Lisandro Dalcín