removing f77 support from PETSc?

Richard Tran Mills rmills at ornl.gov
Wed Apr 23 21:14:52 CDT 2008

Barry,

Since g95 and gfortran seem to work OK now, there are no very compelling
reasons to keep f77 support that I know of.  It is worth asking, however:

1) How many people use the current F77-style calls in their code?  Such a
change could be a huge pain for them if they've got lots of these calls.

2) Has anyone encountered any problems with the "universal" (we hope) F90
interfaces that we introduced in PETSc 2.3.3?

The really important question is (2), of course.  To the best of my knowledge,
the new interface really does seem to be universal.  I have encountered no
problems with it, and have not heard any reported.

Regarding (1), we might just want to deprecate the use of F77.  That is:

   Current VecGetArrayF90 becomes VecGetArray
   Current VecGetArray becomes VecGetArrayF77

Likewise, the current *.h90 files become *.h, and the current *.h files become
*.h77.

If we decide to put everything we can into Fortran modules, of course, then
maintaining F77 compatibility would be quite messy and probably not worth it.

--Richard

Richard Tran Mills, Ph.D.            |   E-mail: rmills at climate.ornl.gov
Computational Scientist              |   Phone:  (865) 241-3198
Computational Earth Sciences Group   |   Fax:    (865) 574-0405
Oak Ridge National Laboratory        |   http://climate.ornl.gov/~rmills