flexible TS implementation for user-defined timestepping

Matthew Knepley knepley at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 21:40:52 CDT 2007

On 9/18/07, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Matthew Knepley wrote:
>
> > On 9/18/07, Barry Smith <bsmith at mcs.anl.gov> wrote:
> > >
> > >   I do not see why 1,2, and 3 are incompatiable with an "algebra based"
> > > TS level. It just requires a smart design.
> >
> > 1) I put this in before as TSSetIdentityMatrix() which was the only way I could
> >     see doing it. That led to problem 2).
> >
> > 2) If the user gives me some arbitrary matrix, I do not see how to effectively
> >     combine operations. I have to do everything in series. This is not optimal,
> >     but might be not bad. However, we through away that method so I thought
> >     people disapproved.
> >
> > 3) This requires changing the discretization that the user has in his SNES
> >      functions.
>
>     Hmmm, maybe this is the key point in our disconnect. I did not envision that
> the user could simply take a function they use for SNES and pop it into TS
> (somehow) to get a time-stepping algorithm. Nor do I see this is a useful goal.
> If the user is doing A nonlinear equation they should use SNES, if they are
> solving a differential/algebraic equation they should use TS and never the twain
> should meet. (That is one does not graduate up to TS from SNES, in the way
> one does not graduate up from KSP to SNES.)

I can accept that the user might have to change the function. However, if we
cannot swap methods in the way we can swap KSP or SNES, what is the value
for the user? That is the point I am trying to make. I can see how to do many
FD methods if I have the identity, but see no approach to FEM. So maybe we
can be more specific about:

  a) What class of methods we can support interchangably

  b) What interface is necessary to support these methods

their experiments lead.