[PETSC #13812] Feature request: "long double" support

Barry Smith petsc-maint at mcs.anl.gov
Mon Nov 21 20:15:32 CST 2005

  Roy,

Number of Newton iterations = 4
lid velocity = 0.0204082, prandtl # = 1, grashof # = 1
  0 SNES Function norm 1.461936698223e-01
  1 SNES Function norm 2.507018921541e-05
  2 SNES Function norm 5.123354965471e-13
  3 SNES Function norm 1.676580470503e-28
  4 SNES Function norm 5.094694802293e-32
Nonlinear solve converged due to CONVERGED_FNORM_RELATIVE

I have added preliminary support for compiling PETSc using
long doubles (128 bit on some systems like the Apple). The
config/configure.py flag is --with-precision=longdouble

Current limitations:
  1) have not added support for using Fortran (I think this
     is doable assuming they use the same floating point
     representation)
  2) no support for binary IO (this is doable, just need
     work arrays, etc. like the code for --with-precision=float)
  3) must use --download-c-blas-lapack (assuming you have native
     BLAS/LAPACK for 128 bit (I think IBM does) we could add
     support to use it.)
  4) some systems don't support %Lg for ASCII formating (for example,
     Apple doesn't support it, but it does support long double :-().
  5) no support for complex

  I won't work on 1,2 or 3 until there is a user who needs it.

   Barry