values sporadically set to zero in output arrays

Pfeiffer, Andreas A.Pfeiffer at dlr.de
Mon Aug 17 11:07:42 CDT 2015

Hi,

I am currently investigating an issue with pnetcdf (1.6.1) writing out
arrays with values wrongly set to zero in some part of my overall domain
of a global climate model (see examples in attachment). This is
happening sporadically only for a very small part of my overall dataset
and only for very few points in time of my simulation. It is
reproducible in a sense that it can be observed for every single
simulation. However, the zeros show up for different variables at
different dates for a simulation that is run several times with the
identical setup.

My first guess would be that this is due to some unfortunate settings
for buffering/flushing e.g. in my pnetcdf and/or mpi-io implementation.
But this might well be the wrong starting point for my investigation.

The examples have been simulated on our cluster (gpfs filesystem version
3.4.0-9) based on openmpi 1.6.5 and compiler intel 14.0.4. Tests with
GNU compilers 4.8.1 did show the same effect.

On a totally different system I did not encounter this problem (so far).

Any hints would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andreas

Dr. Andreas Pfeiffer