pnetcdf and large transfers

Rob Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Tue Jul 2 08:11:33 CDT 2013

On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 04:57:45PM -0500, Rob Ross wrote:
> You could break the operation into multiple calls on the premise that a process moving GBs of data is doing a "big enough" I/O already. Then you would only need a method for determining how many calls are needed…

That's a pragmatic if unsatisfying solution, sure.

Determining how many calls are needed is not hard.  We already compute
"nbytes":

Algorithm;

- ceiling(nbytes/(1*GiB)): number of transfers

- MPI_Allreduce to find the max transfers

- carry out that many MPI_File_{write/read}_all, relying on the
  implicit file pointer to help us keep track of where we are in the
  file view.

I think, given the two phase overhead, we'd want N transfers of mostly
the same size, instead of some gigabyte sized transfers and then one
final "remainder" transfer of possibly a handful of bytes.
When transferring multiple gigabytes, the point is probably academic
anyway.

Given the state of large datatype descriptions in "just pulled it from
git" MPICH (they will need work), I'm now no longer optimistic that
we'll see widespread support for large datatypes too soon.

==rob

Argonne National Lab, IL USA