pnetcdfv1.1.0 make install error

Don Morton Don.Morton at alaska.edu
Thu Jan 14 13:47:56 CST 2010

Howdy, I'm new to this list (less than 2 minutes ago!!), and I'm guessing
someone has already brought this up, but just in case... I did a quick
search for "is not a directory" in the list archives and don't see this
problem.

After successful compilation on two different Cray XT5's, when I do a "make
install" I get:

***************************
echo "module pnetcdf" > pnetcdf.F90
/bin/cat pnetcdf.inc >> pnetcdf.F90
echo "end module pnetcdf" >> pnetcdf.F90
ftn -c  -I. -I./../lib -I../lib   -c pnetcdf.F90
/opt/cray/xt-asyncpe/3.2/bin/ftn: INFO: linux target is being used
cp pnetcdf.inc pnetcdf.mod
/datadir/morton/usr/local/pnetcdf/include/pnetcdf.inc
cp: target `/datadir/morton/usr/local/pnetcdf/include/pnetcdf.inc' is not a
directory
make[3]: *** [/datadir/morton/usr/local/pnetcdf/include/pnetcdf.inc] Error 1
****************************

I had to go back to my O'Reilly book on "make" for the first time in ten
years or so, but was able to fix it by modifying the Makefile entry

$(INCDIR)/$(HEADER_GENERATED):  $(INCDIR) $(HEADER_GENERATED)
$(MODULE_GENERATED)
        cp $(HEADER_GENERATED) $(MODULE_GENERATED) $@

TO:

$(INCDIR)/$(HEADER_GENERATED):  $(INCDIR) $(HEADER_GENERATED)
$(MODULE_GENERATED)
        cp $(HEADER_GENERATED) $(MODULE_GENERATED) $(INCDIR)

(i.e. I replaced $@ with $(INCDIR) )

I'm not really sure where to go (or if I should even bother) to set this up
so that the Makefile is correctly configured, so I'm simply bringing it to
your attention :)

Cheers,

Don Morton

--