record variables

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Tue May 20 13:45:32 CDT 2008

Hey everyone

Traffic has been a little light lately, so I figured I could pose a
question to the community.

I'd like to hear more about how people are using record variables (those
with NC_UNLIMITED in a dimension).  Are people using them to fit
application needs?  To work around variable size (file format) limits?
How has pnetcdf performance with record variables been for you?

I've been working with a colleague to tune pnetcdf reads in a dataset
with several record variables.  This has been pretty interesting. I
figured while I was in the mindset of tuning for record variable access,
I'd check what other sorts of record variable users we have.

Thanks!